Research Technician Fellowship (Paton Lab)
- Date: 9.9.2017
- Location: Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown, Lisboa, Portugal
- Employer: Champalimaud Foundation
- Job type: Full Time
- Position: Technical
- Application start: 9.9.2017
A Call for one Research Technician Fellowship (BTI, Bolsa de Técnico de Investigação) is open at Fundação D. Anna de Sommer Champalimaud e Dr. Carlos Montez Champalimaud (Champalimaud Foundation)
1. Duration: The BTI will have the duration of 12 months, with the possibility of renewal for additional periods, and is expected to start as soon as possible, in exclusiveness regime, as regulated by Lei n.º 40/2004, de 18 de Agosto, FCT (Estatuto do Bolseiro de Investigação Científica) and the FCT Research Fellowship Regulations (www.fct.pt/apoios/bolsas/docs/RegulamentoBolsasFCT2015.pdf), as well as the Fellowship Regulations of the Champalimaud Foundation.
2. Subject of Activities:
We are seeking a highly motivated research technician to assist with rodent behavior/pharmacological experiments in the Learning Lab (www.patonlab.org). Although some experience with rodent behavior is prefered, the selected candidate will be trained in all proposed responsibilities.
Responsibilities of the appointed candidate will include:
» Rodent handling
» Rodent behavior training
» Behavior analysis
» Hardware maintenance related to behavior experiments
» Basic surgical procedures
3. Scientific Orientation:
The selected candidate will integrate with the Learning Lab under the supervision of Joe Paton, Ph.D.
4. Selecting Criteria:
~ Undergraduate degree (Licenciatura) is required, with preference given to candidates with strong quantitative and organizational skills possessing degrees in biology, psychology, neuroscience, computer science, physics or related disciplines. Having a personal animal experimentation license and prior experience with rodents is preferable.
~ The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, organized, efficient, detail-oriented, science-driven and a team worker.
~ Candidates must be able to communicate effectively in English.
~ Preference will be given to candidates with some experience in programming (e.g. MATLAB, Python)
5. Monthly Stipend: range between 745€ and 980€ per month, to be paid by bank transfer in the last business day of each month.
6. Application Documents: Motivation letter, Curriculum Vitae (In English) and contacts of previous supervisors should be sent by e-mail with the subject: “Mouse Research Technician” to “email@example.com” and “firstname.lastname@example.org”
7. Selection Method: Selection methods shall be as follows: curriculum (60%) and motivation letter (40%). Evaluation based on the scale: Excellent (4), Good (3) Satisfactory (2), and Poor (0). Top candidates will be interviewed and possibly selected based on the perceived fit and potential contribution to the lab.
8. Jury Selection: Chairman: Joe Paton. Other members: Bruno Cruz, Tiago Monteiro
9. Form of advertising/notification of results: The highest scoring candidate will be notified by email or telephone. All other candidates will be notified by email.
10. Application Period: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.