Project Manager (EU-funded projects)
- Date: 22.6.2018
- Location: Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown, Lisboa - Portugal
- Employer: Champalimaud Foundation [QuantOCancer H2020 ERA Chair]
- Job type: Full Time
- Position: Science Administration
- Application start: 22.6.2018
Project Manager (EU-funded projects)
Champalimaud Foundation Research (CF Research) is actively looking for a Project Manager (PM) who shall be responsible for the management of the recently awarded 2.5 MEUR 5-year Horizon 2020 ERA Chair QuantOCancer project – “Leveraging the unique organismic approach to health and disease of the Champalimaud Foundation (CF) through the inception of a quantitative biomedicine research programme focused on cancer”. We are seeking highly motivated individuals who are passionate for science and willing to work and make a difference at the interface of research and management. The successful candidate is expected to actively contribute to shape the expanding Project Management area of Sponsored Research at CF Research, that has witnessed a dramatic increase in 2017 with the securing of circa 22 M EUR (26 M EUR secured in 2007-2015).
The PM will be responsible for the daily implementation and management of QuantOCancer, under the direct supervision of the coordination team (Project Coordinator and CF Research Direction Team) and the ERA Chair holder. She/He will play a pivotal liaison role with all internal and external stakeholders, spanning all Work Packages (WPs) and tasks of QuantOCancer project implementation. These include but are not limited to:
• Monitoring the overall progress regarding milestones and deliverables;
• Operationalisation and timing of all activities in the project;
• Identification of any unanticipated risks;
• Acting as the centre of communication between all internal and external stakeholders, including:
~ Prompt liaison with the coordination team and the assigned EC Project Advisor for the implementation of further risk mitigation strategies;
~ Assisting all WP and Task Leaders
~ Ensuring the involvement of the Heads of the appropriate internal research support structures
• Champion the preparation of deliverables (direct liaison with QuantOCancer WP Leaders and CF Research support teams)
• Preparation of the technical interim and final reports;
• Responsible for QuantOCancer data management;
• Ensuring the timely submission of financial reports;
• Based at the Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown the PM shall be available for occasional travelling abroad.
Skills & Qualifications (S&Q)
• Sound scientific background: degree in a relevant research field for QuantOCancer;
• Written and spoken English proficiency (Portuguese proficiency is not mandatory);
• Exceptional organisational skills and high attention to detail;
• Ability to cope with tight deadlines;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Ability to work effectively with dynamic and diverse staff;
• High level of resilience;
• Team spirit and the ability to work independently.
Additional valued S&Q
• International experience or international exposure to best practices in project management;
• Experience/ knowledge in PM processes and open source PM tools (e.g. PCM, Open PM2, others)
• Experience/ knowledge in principles and techniques of EU projects planning
• Experience/ knowledge in DMP;
• Experience/knowledge in international grant application and bid management processes;
• Experience/ knowledge in non-academic collaborations and knowledge transfer activities.
~ Full-time contract;
~ Competitive remuneration package, commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience;
~ Full immersion into a research excellence ecosystem with highly motivated faculty, supported by state-of-the-art technology, to the growth of which you are expected to actively contribute to;
~ Continuous development and career-progression opportunities;
~ Access to the international network of the QuantOCancer research management and administration partners.
Research is at the heart of the Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown, a modern research and clinical facility situated on the waterfront in Lisbon, Portugal. Champalimaud Research comprises a team of over 200 scientists from around the world with foci in neuroscience and cancer research. English is the official language of the Centre. Lisbon’s sunny Atlantic-Mediterranean climate, vibrant culture and high quality of life make this a great place to live and work.
QuantOCancer will incept a quantitative biomedicine research programme focused on cancer. It will allow consolidating and expanding CF’s internationally-leading position as a biomedical research excellence centre with a unique organismic approach to health and disease that smoothly integrates theoretical and experimental conceptual frameworks. QuantOCancer project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 810653 and will start by October 1st, 2018.
How to apply
To apply, please send a single PDF file containing a letter of motivation, a CV (max. 2-page) and the names and contact information of 2 references to email@example.com with “PM QuantOCancer [your last name]” in the subject line.
If you do not wish that we contact current or past employers, please state so and explain the reasons in your letter of motivation. Position will remain open until filled. Expected starting date: October 1st 2018.