Research Technician - International Brain Laboratory (IBL)
- Date: 17.6.2021
- Location: Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown
- Employer: Champalimaud Foundation
- Job type: Full Time
- Position: Technical
- Application start: 17.6.2021
We have one research technician position available to work in the International Brain Laboratory (IBL) collaboration (https://www.internationalbrainlab.com/) at the lab of Zachary Mainen in the Champalimaud Centre for the Unknown, Lisbon, Portugal. The IBL is an international collaboration between 22 labs across Europe and the US, aiming to investigate the neural substrate of decision making. To this end, the IBL has implemented a standardized behavioral task which is currently up and running in 10 different labs (International Brain Lab, et al. 2020). During task performance, high-yield recordings are made all throughout the brain using Neuropixel probes. By pooling resources and expertise from the collaborating labs we can start to answer questions which are of a scale and complexity that exceed what can be tackled by any single laboratory.
Your primary responsibility as a technician in the IBL will be to:
- Train mice in the standardized behavioral task;
- Perform stereotactic implantation surgeries;
- Maintain the administrative records of the animals, monitoring their health status, and keeping stock of consumables.
Besides these responsibilities, there is the opportunity to perform analyses on the extensive IBL dataset and define a personal project with a research question.
The ideal candidate:
- Has a background in biological sciences;
- Works in a precise and meticulous manner, and pays attention to detail;
- Has experience with training rodents in behavioral paradigms and performing stereotactic surgeries (this is a plus, not a requirement);
- Has experience with data analysis, ideally in Python (this is a plus, not a requirement).
Expected starting date is September 1st, 2021.
Competitive remuneration package commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience.
Full immersion into a research excellence ecosystem with highly motivated researchers, supported by state-of-the-art technology and continuous development opportunities.
Minimum salary in line with FCT guidelines. Maximum duration of the contract is 24 months, until the end of the project (June 2023).
How to apply:
To apply, use the reference “RT2021 IBL”, fill in this form and upload a single pdf document (maximum 4 pages) including your CV and motivation letter. Call will be open until the position is filled.